The college of St Peter-le-Bailey is named after the church which formerly stood at the south corner of the street (Bonn Square) and was moved to its present site, now within the college, in 1874. The (rebuilt) church is now the college chapel.
The city of Oxford had 2 churches dedicated to St Peter (east and west - the west now incorporated in St Edmund Hall), and two of St Michael - of which St Michael at the North Gate remains. So the city was protected by the saint-guardians of heaven at the four compass points, as described in the old Oxford rhyme:
'At North-Gate and at South-Gate too
St Michael guards the way,
While o'er the East and o'er the West
St Peter holds his sway.'
(St Giles' Church, dedicated to the patron saint of beggars, is well outside the city walls, between the Woodstock and Banbury Roads. St Mary Magdalen ranks just outside the city walls - and holiest of holy, St Mary the Virgin stands at the city centre, protected by all the other saints).
St Peter's College was founded in 1929 to cater for poor men and those wishing to take holy orders in the Church of England. The former 'Canal House' (1797), rather like a Greek temple, is now the Master's Lodging and can best be seen from the Castle Mound which is part of Oxford Castle Unlocked.
Advance booking is required for groups of five or more.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||10.00 - dusk
The information given is intended for guidance only. Opening hours are subject to functions, examinations, conferences, holidays etc., and charges are subject to review.
You are advised to check opening times and admission charges in advance.
New Inn Hall Street, Oxford, OX1 2DL
Map reference: SP 511062 Lat: 51.75216 Long: -1.26114
MAIN ENTRANCE - 2 steps ; Alternative Level Entrance - Through iron gate by chapel ; QUADS - Level to 3 Quads ; CHAPEL - Level path from gate to West door