The college was founded in Manchester in 1786, one of the 'Dissenting Academies', specifically for Nonconformists who were debarred from study at both Oxford and Cambridge Universities. After moves to York and London it came to Oxford in 1889. In 1996 the college became the 30th federated college of the University with the financial support of Lord Harris of Peckham.
Unusually for Oxford, the college chapel has a complete glazing scheme installed by one company - that of William Morris & Co, using designs mostly provided by Burne Jones.The figures to the left of the altar, representing the 'virtues' each have a different background of vine leaves, as created by Morris' individual craftsmen. The figures on the right of the altar represent each of the six days of creation, with winged angels carrying a globe.
For more detail see 'Stained Glass' in the Oxford Town Trail series , available from our eshop.
As you face the college entrance, to the right is a stylish red brick large house, built in 1993 as the Principal's Lodging.
Chapel only open.
Large parties must book in advance.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||Mon - Fri 8.30 - 17.30
Sat 9.00 - 12.00
Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TD
Map reference: SP 517065 Lat: 51.75480 Long: -1.25240
Nearest station : 2 miles (3.2 kms) from Oxford station
MAIN ENTRANCE - 4 steps ; Alternative Level Entrance - Arlosh Gate at side ; QUADS - Level ; CHAPEL - Ramp available over 3 steps